Wednesday, May 5, 2004

I'm at my parents house trying to study for finals. I don't know if it's the fact that they're getting a new roof, and there are men pounding on the ceilings as we speak, or if it's my mom's constant nagging and complaining, or my upcoming move back to Fort Wayne... or a mixture of all three PLUS everything else that's bothering me that I HAVEN'T shared, but I am not being very productive studying.

And what's remarkable is that while browsing through my Material Science Engineering book, I noticed how the chapters have paralleled My Life as I Know It for the Past Two Years. Take a look:

Ch. 2: Atomic Structure and Interatomic Bonding
Boys, girls, protons, electrons... you get the picture.

Ch. 4: Imperfections in Solids
I thought this was quite humorous, considering I've used the word "solid" to describe my physical state as of late... only one of my many imperfections. (I'd call myself an "over-eater" but squirm away from that after seeing a particular S.A.T.C. episode a few weeks ago. I can't escape the Miranda connections!)

Ch. 7: Dislocations and Strengthening Mechanisms
The last 2 years have involved me moving around quite a bit and therefore building new relationships, however half-heartedly, and dissolving others, quite double-heartedly, if I may. I could go on and on about this one, but will spare you the minutes.

Ch. 8: Failure
I think the bold italics pretty much sums up that one. I know, a touch dramatic.

Ch. 16: Composites
This is my favorite chapter title, and a good way to end the comparison. While the previous chapters carried a slightly pessimistic tone (at least that's my attitude in writing it), the composite chapter discussed the influences of a plethora of different factors that affect composite materials, and how important each factor is on the material. (Material=me) The hybrid feeling to it is somewhat hopeful that one day I will not compare my life to the chapter on Failure or the monophase substance of ceramics.

I guess I am grateful that these didn't make it on my list of life-paralleling chapters:
Ch. 10: Phase Transformations in Metals: Development of Microstructure and Alteration of Mechanical Properties
Ch. 15: Characteristics, Applications, and Processes of Polymers
Ch. 18: Electrical Properties


Also, I am currently regretting not going to class for the last 6 weeks. This regret, however, will fortunately only last about 2 hours. And I would like to add that I am not as learned in these areas as me spouting off the chapter titles implies. I will likely 2.5 the class, 3.0 it at best.

****On another note, I finally have bragging rights to having a beta version of Gmail. </brag>

No comments: