Thursday, June 12, 2008

A.F.

Today is Anne Frank's birthday.  Happy Birthday A.F.  Now, I don't know this because I'm a pretentious person who knows all of these famous figures lives like the back of my hand, no, I'm just the pretentious person who receives daily email from The Writer's Almanac (haha, because I'm such a writer) and this daily email has tid-bits of trivia at the end of each message.

 

Anyway, now that that's cleared up.

 

So, something to mull over – is was this day, on Anne's 13th birthday in 1942, that she received the infamous diary, which she called "Kitty".  As you all know, the diary has become a staple in everyone's reading repertoire, but I found it interesting that her diary is the # 2 most selling (ever!) non-fiction book in the history of non-fiction books, behind the Bible.  Wow, impressive. 

 

Now, I'm also not this pretentious person who knows quotes off the top of her head – again, this quote came from my daily email, but I liked it so I'm posting it here.  Crazy to think it came from a 13 year old, I don't think we give kids enough credit these days.  But then again, if you put a 13 year old from 2008 in an attic for two years, she'd complain more about not having internet access so she can facebook her friends, or download new music for her iPod.

 

Sorry for the tangent, here is the quote: (am I just further propogating the notion that 13 year olds suck these days, by using that stereotype? Eh.)

 

Anne Frank wrote, "Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love!"

Catch you later.

No comments: