Thursday, August 9, 2007

Deep Thoughts... Really Deep (with footnotes!)

So at work, I’m pretty much in our ERP1 system 24/7.   Well, more like 7.5/5 but you know what I mean… Anyway, so the system’s command for “go back a screen” (much like hitting the “back” button in any web browser) is F3.

 

It’s true, I’ve become one of those people at work with the Jack-be-nimble fingers, that can navigate the system with my swift keystrokes and deft fingers.  You know when you were a little kid and you used to go to the bank with your mom, and you’d watch the tellers use a calculator or keyboard and they’d pound out the numbers and you’re just left thinking “Oh my gosh, how do they know where the numbers are so quickly?  Mom, can we get ice cream on the way home?”   Anyway, I’ve become that bank teller.  I am that person typing 200 words per minute at work.  At all times, I have my right hand on the number-portion of the keyboard, and my left hand hovered over the F3 button, always a tap away from going back.

 

Don’t you wish you could just F3 your life?  And I’m not talking Marty McFly2 like go back in time, but more like just go back to the way things used to be, when going to the bank meant trips to the ice cream store on the way home, when your first instinct was to drive instead of fly because the road trip with your best friend was worth it even if meant it took six times as long than the time-efficient mode of flying.  I recently realized that I need to go back.  I need to F33 my life.

 

(Say it with me: DEEP.)

 

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_resource_planning

2 http://imdb.com/title/tt0088763/ (swoon re: Marty)

3 http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindsay_smith/1061682802/

 

No comments: