Friday, May 7, 2010

Thursday Night Thoughts

I read a very thought-provoking tweet earlier this week. It read, "what's the one thing you would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?"

I was floored.

The answer was so simple for me.  Barely had to think about it.  I would be my own boss.  Work as much as I wanted to.  If we were doing fine, financially, I'd take some time off to spend with Claire.  When I needed to contribute to the pot, I'd throw on my working pants (figuratively speaking) and get to work.  I could work at night, after bedtime, with the crickets chirping, or during daylight hours like most other peeps.  I could walk to my favorite local coffeeshop and caffeinate myself, or work in my skivvies from the office at The Noble Home. 

The only thing I'm not quite sure about?  What in the hell I would actually do.  According to the tweet, I CANNOT FAIL in this scenario.  So, in a perfect world, my dream job (the one where I am my own boss) should be something I LOVE to do.  Only problem is, I don't even know what I really love to do. 

Here's what I do know, though:
  • no 8:00 a.m. meeting every day
  • no cubicle
  • workspace would have access to windows
  • no countdowns (I swear, every day is a countdown (I'm sure this will increase ten-fold once I return to work after my maternity leave is over in three weeks...))
  • no annual reviews, no upper managers to silently talk back to, no fear of layoffs
I am sure there are people who approach life in general this way.  It seems like the resounding theme lately is to just do what you love, and the rest will fall into place (with a lot of countless hours, elbow grease, plenty of uphill battles, nonetheless).  It sounds so easy when you hear success stories, and I like to focus on that aspect of it, but the realist side of me knows that for every success story, there are ninety-nine other stories.  People don't typically get their grandslam, walk-off home-run idea on the first try, but eventually hard work pays off, right? Right?

Now I just need to figure out what it is that would make my clock tick, and then work on breaking down my fear of failure, and I'm set. Not such a hard task for a Thursday night, right? ;)

And, a little off-subject, but: some baby pictures, just because.


1 comment:

Meg said...

I'm just here for the baby pics, totally ignored your awesome post.

(Just kidding.) I ask myself this question all the time, and the thing is I KNOW what I do and yet I still move ever so haltingly forward towards it. So, maybe at least not knowing exactly what you would do is one good excuse not to be doing it? :) Or maybe you're just ready and ripe for inspiration to strike you!

Ok, back to ooh-ing and ahh-ing Princess Claire.